Skip to main content

What I Learned from Unexpected Change

Does change ever sneak up on you?

Do you ever think that things have finally normalized, stabilized, settled-down, only to have something really big reveal itself as the Next Big Change?

It happens.

We can prepare for change, adapt to change, embrace change, even drive change and there will always be changes that surprise us. Big things. Life changing things. Out of nowhere, they surprise us and suddenly a huge part of our energy is spent in dealing with the change.

Even high performance leaders must deal with surprise.

I once owned a little green bungalow in Chicago. I loved that little house. I loved it even before I bought it. I would walk by it on my way to the bus, always going down 39th Place so that I could see that house. "Someday" I told myself, "someday I am going to buy that house..."

When the for sale sign did come up on it, I bought it within a week. The house served our little family well, and even though the bedrooms were cold and the electric was sketchy and the heater was ancient, I loved that house.

Which is why it was so hard to sell it. Twice. How do you sell a house twice? Well, the first time didn't turn out exactly as planned.

I sold it the first time because I was offered a big promotion in Springfield, Ohio. Our company was making a change, and that meant moving our portion of the business to Ohio.

Life was going to be great. Compared to Chicago prices, our little family would be able to move up significantly from a real estate standpoint. We did all the big talking, made all the tough decisions, and set about planning the big move.

We were one day away from making an offer on a new house in Ohio when my boss took me out to dinner. This must be good news, I thought...he's taking me out to an expensive restaurant. Life was good! Change was exciting!

He asked me how things were going. I told him about the move plans for the business and how we'd told all of the staff about the big change and even made several trips to Springfield to interview and hire the new team there. "And, on a personal note," I said, "tomorrow I go to Springfield to make an offer on a new home."

"Not so fast," he said. "I can't tell you why, but don't buy that house. I can't tell you why, but we've changed the plan and we are not going to move the business to Springfield after all. In fact, I'm going to need to have you lay those people in Springfield off and talk to the people in Chicago about staying..."

That was a change I was not expecting. Fortunately, even though I'd already sold the house in Chicago the young family who bought it agreed to nullify the deal and let us keep it. The company made them whole (gave them their expenses back plus a little "sorry about that" money) and life continued in Chicago.

Was it the end of the world? No. I still feel badly for those people who'd been promised jobs in Springfield only to have them taken away. It wasn't fair what happened to them, but they did find new jobs, probably even better jobs.

The business prospered in Chicago and after huge efforts and the hard work of a team quickly developed into an elite team that was normalized, stabilized, and excelling.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere the announcement was made that we would be moving the business after all -- but to Trevose, Pennsylvania.

Could I control that? No. Did I have much influence over that? Not very much. Could I manage my reactions to that? Absolutely.

Time after time, changes occur that I can't control and would not have asked for, but that also doesn't mean that I'm powerless. We learn from change. We grow from change. We create better possibilities through change. Even when that change is unexpected.

What did I learn from almost living in Springfield?


  • Stay the course
As long as we know what our personal mission is -- our reason for being (not the company's) we can manage unexpected change. It may be a strategic moment, a time for big decisions, but if we stay the course, we achieve clarity.

  • Identify what you can influence
If you control it, you decide. If you can influenced the outcome, then you act on your influence to impact and maybe change in the direction that you want. It is important to identify exactly what you can influence and operate from there, even if all you can influence is your own reaction to the change. Usually, using our high performance leadership strengths of creativity, courage, compassion, and clarity we can exercise much more influence than we may have at first thought.

  • Influence carefully
What if you can influence the change? It's worth carefully examining the thinking behind the change before deciding to become disruptive or uncooperative. Sit with it a moment. If you stop a change that's needed, it will inevitably occur anyway -- and by then you may have lost your ability to influence or benefit from the change.

  • Treat people with respect
Sometimes we strongly disagree. There have been many times when I felt like a pawn in a massive chess game that I had no influence over. Even in those times there have been people willing to listen, willing to help, and working to make the change a positive one.

Sometimes the changes that I initially resented the most became the best thing for me. If I'd trashed the people trying o manage me through those changes, it would have been bad for them, but far worse for me. And, I would have missed the benefits of the change.

Even when we're struggling, we should treat each other with respect, and listen. It's a small world. We'll need to work with each other again. That doesn't mean leaping off the edge of a cliff or acting cult-like without using our brains, but it does mean to honor those around use who are dealing with their own struggles.

  • Anticipate change
The toughest part about unexpected change is the unexpected part. We don't like to be surprised. But, how much of that surprise factor can we personally manage?

If we are paying attention, if we are watching the trends and the competition, if we are listening to our customers and our peers, if we are developing mentoring and mentored relationships with creative people -- change, or the need for change, reveals itself before we are surprised by it. Change reports its need. Change gives itself away.

By anticipating, and even driving change the surprise factor is not only easier to deal with, it's seldom even a surprise at all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Benefits of Supervisory Training

When was the last time you had any leadership training? How often do the supervisors in your organization get training? If you are like most organizations, it's never enough. Some teams go without any supervisory training at all and expect supervisors and managers to learn as they go, on the job. Unfortunately, while it is memorable to learn from your mistakes, it comes at a high cost. People get tired. People leave. Important accounts go away. Customers complain. And teams struggle without the skills and knowledge it takes to build cohesive teams that are capable of solving problems, improving performance and achieving goals. Admittedly, I can be expected to support training since I'm in the business. Still, take a closer look at your own leadership career and decide for yourself. Are leaders better off with more training and development or with less? Supervisory training can generate benefits that pay off long after the training is over. Here are just a few of the things sup

Dear Home Office

Have you ever worked in the field with the responsibility of reporting to a home office? How did that feel? I've noticed that there are big distinctions between people working in the field, doing the work, selling the product, delivering the goods, facing the customers... and people in the home office who make the rules, collect the cash, drink free company coffee, and call in sick if they need a day off. When you work in the field you don't call in sick because then you don't get paid. At least not what you'd make by doing the work. So when someone from the home office wants to give you feedback, how does that feel? Maybe they have something to offer. Maybe they will give you tips that make a difference. Or maybe you might want to write them a note something like this... "Dear Home Office... Your advice sucks so please keep it to yourself. We know what works and what doesn't. We see our customers' faces. We feel their pain. We need new rules

Perfect Relationships

Is your partner perfect? Are you? I've made enough mistakes in my life and in my relationships to know that the search for perfection is illusive at best and at worst, frustrating. There are no perfect people out there waiting for us, to fall in love with us, to fix us, to bring us what we need, to fulfill our dreams. But that's OK. In fact, that's wonderful. We don't need a perfect person in order to create love. Love creates the perfect person. -- Douglas Brent Smith

Keep Moving

Are you living the dream? When I worked in retail it was a common response from team members, whenever someone would ask "How are you doing?" to say "Living the dream!". There was more than a hint of sarcasm in that response. The only thing dream like about stocking the shelves sometimes is the dream like trance you feel in between interruptions. And yet - I also knew people in retail who were truly living their dream. They were making a positive difference. They were delighting customers. They were innovating and enjoying themselves. They were happy. Maybe it's not so much what you do as it is how you do it. Living the dream is above all, active. It's when I am most focused on working things that are important (to me and to others) and achieving new results and developing that I feel the dream is right here with me right now. And to keep that - to sustain that dream - takes constant work. It takes constant learning. It takes risks, chances, and effo

Make Progress On That Big Problem

What have you done to fix your biggest problem today? My biggest problem is relocating. I'm not even close to figuring out what that means or where it will be, other than it is highly likely to be back to my home state of New Jersey. For a variety of reasons, it's time to come home. It's easy to get polarized and immobilized though when it comes to making big decisions and solving big problems. So today I'm going to do what Brian Tracy calls "chunking it down". I'll take that monumental problem and find a small piece of it that I can do. I will also practice what I preach when it comes to problems and convert my problem to a goal. Instead of "don't know what to do about moving" as a problem, I will rephrase it as the goal of "Relocate my business and my life to New Jersey by August 2016."  As is the case with most of my goals, I hope and plan to achieve it far ahead of the deadline - but the deadline is real. It's energi

Learning and Growing

What happens when we don't solve a problem? What happens when we fail? I've worked on some big problems and fallen on my face. I had a plan, a had a goal, but the problem got the best of me. Crap happens. But in the process of working on that problem, as unpleasant as it was, I learned. I grew. I changed. Problems are there to help us grow. Even when we fail to solve a problem we learn and grow by working toward a solution. Maybe we solve it later. Maybe we change direction. Maybe we never fix what was bothering us. But when we stay open, curious, and creative we learn. And learning is often enough to make the journey worthwhile. What have you learned today? -- Doug Smith

Feedback Takes Practice

How good are you at providing feedback? If you're not sure, ask your team members. If you are good at it, they'll tell you. If you're not good at it, then maybe they will and maybe they won't. Feedback does not come easy. Skillful, useful feedback that improves both performance AND self-esteem is a delicate balance of recognizing positives and occasionally providing insights on areas of improvement -- all placed into the context of why it matters. Without the "why" -- why the feedback matters, why the improvement matters, why the performance matters, all the feedback you can muster will only fluster whoever you provide it to. Tell them what they did that was great, ask how they could make it even greater, and share with them why it all makes a difference. Because unless it really makes a difference who cares? Feedback, like any skill, takes practice. -- doug smith

The Essence of Leadership

What do leaders spend most of their time doing? Is it planning? Is it counseling and coaching? It is working with customers? The essence of leadership is solving problems and achieving their goals. Whether you solve a problem or achieve a goal directly, or whether you enlist the help of others to do it, that is what leadership is all about. Whether you write your own goals or have them handed to you, chances are you are held accountable for them. And whether or not you expect them, sure enough problems develop that demand your attention. What are you doing to improve your ability to solve problems and achieve your goals? -- Douglas Brent Smith Information on Solving Problems and Achieving your goals .

Freedom and Responsibility

Freedom without responsibility produces more harm than good. Responsibility without freedom sparks certain revolution.  High performance leaders don't FIND the balance, they CREATE the balance. Start by listening. -- doug smith

Press Your Boundaries Forward

How tight are your boundaries? When I worked at GE an expression that was popular was "boundaries". We were boundaries in our search for solutions, in our work to satisfy customers, and in our pursuit of profit. Boundaries were permeable, not insurmountable. With one exception: integrity. That was one boundary that could not be stretched, could not be crossed, and could not be ignored. But for other boundaries much of the time our sense of what the boundary is depends on our perspective. How fixed it is depends on our creativity. How cold it is depends on our compassion. How formless it is depends on our clarity. And how limiting it is depends on our courage. We need to consider all four of these leadership strengths when we find ourselves held by boundaries. Without examining our boundaries and staying curious about why they are there or what function they serve we stay stuck. Stuck is not where we want to be. To get past stuck might take creativity, and it certainly